Periodontics - Gum Treatment
Periodontics is a dental specialty that focuses on inflammatory diseases and other conditions that negatively impact the gums and supporting structures of the teeth. Dentists that perform periodontic procedures are concerned with the prevention, diagnosis and effective treatment of periodontal diseases and conditions.
Dentists providing periodontal services are trained and experienced in treating a range of conditions spanning mild to severe cases such as mild gingivitis to severe periodontitis.
There are a number of treatment options available in modern dentistry to address conditions and diseases of the gums. These treatments range from non-invasive, non-surgical therapies, to surgical interventions.
Non-surgical Gum Treatment Options
- Professional dental cleaning to remove plaque and tartar
- Scaling and root planning to deep clean and remove plaque and tartar beneath the gumline
- And more…
Surgical Gum Treatment Options
- Pocket reduction surgery or “flap surgery” to lift back the gums, remove tartar and smooth out surfaces where bacteria and debris can hide
- Bone grafts to replace any bone damaged or destroyed by gum disease
- Soft tissue grafts to restore areas where the gumline may have receded
The specific type of treatment most suitable for your case will be dependent on the type of condition, severity, symptoms and more.